Monday, September 22, 2014

Adventure the Fourth: La Merce

Beginning on Friday the 19th and officially ending on Wednesday is the festival of Barcelona's patron saint known as La Merce. The festival has concerts, parades, fireworks, and other fire related festivities. There were multiple events that I knew would not be legal in America. My experience with La Merce began very calmly; watching fireworks from the beach. Nothing spectacular, just a simple fireworks show. From the festival would get a little more intense. On Saturday night I, along with a few friends, headed to Placa Jaume to watch the fire parade. However, the placa was packed and we arrived late so we didn't get to see much. But no worries, as we left in search of food we ran into the parade! Coming straight at us were various goblin and dragon looking floats that had at one point been "breathing" fire! We would run into the parade a few more times as we attempted to follow back streets to find our way out. Once I got over the initial shock of being face to face with a smoking dragon-like creature being in the parade was very fun. There were drummers with each float and confetti being thrown right and left. Finally, our quest to find food ended at NAP pizzeria. Yes, I am very aware that pizza is not Spanish, but it was clearly the place to be. This little place is just a hole in the wall that anyone could easily walk past. We had to wait 40 minutes for a table but it was well worth the wait. The pizza's are about 11 inches and baked in a brick oven. Quite possibly one of the best things I have eaten in Spain and for only 6 euro! Thus concludes my second night of La Merce.

The third day of La Merce only increased in crazy fire related activities. For Sunday meant el Correfoc, the fire run. Of the whole festival I was most looking forward to this day; until I actually saw what happened. Essentially, people dressed as devils or dragons (I couldn't tell) hold giant sparklers as they go walking down the street. That doesn't sound too bad. Just watch the people wander down the street with sparklers. Coming from a state where buying and shooting off fireworks is perfectly legal I wasn't concerned. Then I watched what was supposed to happen. People who participate in the run crowd around those carrying the sparklers and jump and dance under the sparklers. For those who participated it was recommended that clothing be thicker, hair was covered, and either glasses or goggles should be worn to protect the eyes. So I came prepared with my NCC hoodie and bought a pair of fake glasses to protect my eyes. An hour and half later I was jumping and dancing underneath the sparks and hoping that none of my clothing would get singed. All went well and there are only the smallest of burn marks on the hood of my sweatshirt. All in all I'd say it was a pretty good start to La Merce.  




No comments:

Post a Comment